Dreiling Terrones Architecture represents the accumulated
experience of numerous individual careers, several notable firms of
historic local significance and a wide range of project typologies
from the smallest furniture design to several of the largest
development projects in San Francisco.
We have twenty five years of embedded experience that informs all
of our current projects and shapes all of our current philosophy. We
have over 50 years of combined experience among our Principals. And
our firm history goes back to the 1920's and includes some of the most
beautiful buildings on the Peninsula.
For ten years we have focused our efforts on Public School Design
while continuing to build excellent commercial and residential
projects. We continue to seek a diversity of project types, including
new typologies that we have not yet pursued. We like to do different
Founded in 1926, CSS has a long history of providing Architectural
services in the San Francisco Bay Area:
- Birge Clark, the 'C' in CSS, began practice in 1919 with his father .The Clark's designed private residences, shops, and hotels in Palo Alto and its environs.
- Notable civic projects included the Palo Alto Main Post Office,
Lucie Stern Center and the original main library. Notable residential
projects include the Hoover Residence on the Stanford Campus, and the
- CSS became active in designing schools early, working on existing
facilities as well as new buildings. After World War II in response to
the Baby Boom, CSS designed dozens of schools and school campuses
throughout the Bay Area.
- In the 60's and 70's CSS became an important participant in the
design of high tech, aerospace and research facilities throughout the
emerging Silicon Valley. Notable clients included Lockheed, NASA and
Hewlett Packard, who commissioned CSS for most of their first
- In 1994, CSS began an association with Martin David Architecture
in Burlingame, California. This collaborative effort resulted in
Martin Dreiling's acquisition of CSS in 1997 and the merging of the
assets of the two firms.
- Since that time the firm has seen notable growth in School
Facilities projects, Neighborhood Planning and Design, Neighborhood
Commercial and Retail Projects, Environmental Leadership and
exceptional Residential Design and Construction.
- In 2007 CSS Architecture updated its name to Dreiling Terrones ARCHITECTURE INC. to better acknowledge the leadership of the
principals who guided the growth of the firm through the turn of
- Under our new name, we will continue to provide the same high
level of comprehensive services offered historically by CSS